Having a good surf watch is sometimes a necessity. There are times when you simply have to be out of the water at a certain time, whether for work or school, a meeting, or to meet up with your friends. There are many types of surf watches, from the ultra basic to the insanely technological. It all depends on what you want and what you can afford.
There are a few basic distinctions among surf watches: there are simple waterproof watches that tell you the time and have a few basic functions, there are tide watches, and then there are the activity tracker or smart watches that keep track of your motion and surf session statistics.
We’ve collected some of the best surf watches in all categories so you can get a better feel for what each one provides. It’s hard to choose a “best” in each category because these watches have different functionalities, and of course style is very subjective. From modern to retro, however, you’ll find something to suit you.
This list starts with the more technical watches and then goes into the more traditional tide watches.
Surfing Smart Watches
The Absolute Best Surf Watches
1. Apple Watch Series 5/6/7
Okay, this might seem like a weird choice for a surf watch, and for some of you this may not be your thing. But the Apple Watch is a serious contender for the best surf watch out there. With insane functionality, a waterproof design, and an array of surfing apps this watch is a great tool to log your sessions.
With the addition of the Dawn Patrol app and Surfline Sessions, this watch is becoming an app killer.
The best thing about the Apple Watch is that it’s not just a surf watch. It can do so much more when you’re not surfing, which makes this an overall great gadget. There are apps for all your other sports as well, like snowboarding, SUPing, and more.
For example, if you get the Apple watch that includes cellular service you can receive texts and calls while you’re out in the lineup. Now, I know what you’re probably thinking – that’s the last thing we need in the lineup. BUT – I have several friends who work “on call” shifts and need to be near a phone in case they get called into work. This enables them to surf and still be able to get those alerts. It’s also useful for those who need to be near a phone for any other reasons.
Where It Could Improve
There are a few downsides to the Apple watch – namely that there’s only one style and the only thing you can change is the band. I don’t find the style particularly appealing, but them’s the breaks. There are a few cases out there such as the one from Catalyst that give the Apple watch more water protection as well as a more rugged appearance. It also helps protect the watch a bit which is a good idea.
- Many surf tracking apps including Dawn Patrol and Surfline Sessions
- You can receive texts and calls in the water – great for those that can’t be far from their phone but want to surf
- More than just a surf watch – apps for all other activities and sports
- New models can be pricey
- Not the most stylish
2. Garmin Instinct Solar – Surf Edition
Garmin has started to really nail the smartwatch niche with some extremely high quality and well-reviewed watches. An amazing alternative to the Apple Watch for data geeks and those with an Android phone, the Garmin Instinct Solar Surf is targeted at surfers with a few key enhancements.
Garmin sets itself apart in the smartwatch space by providing incredibly detailed data – moreso than the Apple watch. This makes it a popular choice for those who really like to drill down into their stats – health stats, exercise stats, highly targeted GPS stats, and more. It also poses itself as a smartwatch for people who dislike smartwatches – it keeps a very traditional watch-style screen for all the features.
Garmin is also a leader in battery life and with the solar edition you won’t have to charge the watch so much–it lasts up to 24 days in smartwatch mode and up to 50 days with solar exposure!
Garmin watches also feature a distinct and rugged design that the Apple Watch lacks. The Apple Watch just looks rather boring, and everyone has the same one. The Garmin Instinct (and the other versions that work with Surfline Sessions) all have a very sharp athletic look. The Surf edition comes in two colorways – a white “Cloudbreak” version and a black with blue accent “Pipeline” version.
- Great Looking Watch
- Incredible Battery Life
- Appeals to people who generally don’t “like” smartwatches
- Compatible with Surfline Sessions
- Incredibly list of other features
- Monochrome screen (could be a plus for some people though)
- Limited access to third party apps (aka iPhone apps)
- Larger size might put off some women with smaller wrists
3. Rip Curl Search GPS 2
This is one of the first surf watches to take advantage of GPS and motion technology and package it for surfers. The Rip Curl Search GPS 2 watch allows you to track the stats of your surf session including how many waves you catch, your top speed, how long each wave was, and more. It then plots all of this data onto a map so you can see where you were catching waves and how far you went. You can even replay your session and see the progression of different waves.
You can see all of your paddling tracks on the map and it will quantify how far you’ve paddled in a session, which is a great fitness tracker. The watch also tracks tide and of course, tells you what time it is–and this data is super accurate; every time you sync to the GPS it figures out where you are and updates the tide to the correct location as well as local time.
Additionally, it will plot your session anywhere on the map–you don’t have to be at a “named” spot. It will try to name your spot but it won’t put your somewhere on the map that you’re not. So if you like to surf at a secret sandbar it will show your session exactly where your spot is on the satellite map.
After your session you can share your stats on Facebook and Instagram.
This watch is definitely a luxury item, but it’s super fun–especially for people that like to track their statistics and see where they can improve.
And it’s not just for surfing! You can use this watch to track stand up paddleboarding, kite surfing, and even boogie boarding.
Where it could improve
The only problems I had with this watch were trying to get more than one surf per battery charge, and missing a few waves. Granted, the waves it missed were on small gutless days–it didn’t properly track some of the teeny tiny waves I caught on my longboard, probably because I was going too slow (barely faster than my paddling speed).
But overall, the watch has worked very well at catching all my waves as long as they have a little bit of push. I think Rip Curl should add a calories burned statistic…if it’s seeing how far you paddle this really shouldn’t be too hard to add into the app. I’m not an exercise freak but I really like seeing how many calories I burn during workouts.
In order to solve the problem of charging the watch every session I’ve set up a car charger specifically for the watch (it uses a usb charging cord) so it’s always in my car and charging.
Pros And Cons
- Get your sessions quantified with a bunch of useful statistics
- Super accurate tide readings for way more spots than any other tide watch
- It’s actually very fun and satisfying to track your sessions with this little gadget–add a photo of the conditions and add some comments.
- Keep track of your sessions all over the globe
- Pretty accurate in my week+ of testing
- Very easy to set up and use
- Sometimes misses the really tiny slow waves
- Tide graphic display is not my favorite
- Needs to be charged each session to ensure it lasts for your entire surf
Best Tide/Surf Watches
The Absolute Best Surf Watches
As far as tide watches go, they are all very similar in terms of functionality and it becomes more of a personal stylistic choice as to which one you like better. It’s also worth considering your home beach and check the online manuals of the various tide watches to see if your home beach is listed. It’s much easier than trying to set a tide offset if there’s no closest beach listed.
Having a tide watch is a bit of a luxury, and this one was the first tide watch I’ve owned in almost 15 years of surfing. I didn’t know if I would find it useful to have the tide on my watch, but knowing the tides moment to moment is a pretty good way to more accurately learn how your surf spots react to different tides and water depths. Although you can just check the tides on your phone or calendar before you go out, it’s hard to remember when they are.
Here are some of our top picks:
1. Freestyle Shark
The Freestyle Shark line of watches are a retro-inspired line of digital timepieces that display tide information along with a variety of different bands and color combinations. Freestyle Shark watches get the crown for reliability and durability. Most of my surfing friends have only good things to say about this brand, so if you’re looking for something that will last, Shark watches are where it’s at.
The Freestyle Shark watches all have the same basic face graphics and functionality, and come in a variety of different styles and bands. My favorite is the clip tide as it’s easy to take on and off. However, friends have reported that the nylon band can get a bit smelly after a while. I would think that taking it in the shower or simply rinsing it off after a surf or workout would do the trick, however if you’re concerned about it picking up odors you could stick with traditional rubber bands that are also available.
I like this tide watch quite a bit: it’s very simple and to the point. The black face with light numbers is cool (and the one I own) but visibility does suffer a bit unless you’re looking directly at it.
Where It Could Improve
Honestly there aren’t many “cons” to these watches. They do one job and do it well, however they won’t give you as many bells and whistles as the previous watches mentioned.
2. Rip Curl Rifles
The Rip Curl Rifles tide watch is a great looking tide watch that has a menu based system making setup easy as pie. My only complaint about some tide watches was the difficulty in getting them set up – it’s like solving a riddle. No more with the Rifles tide watch.
Although the Rip Curl Search GPS has a strange volume graph to show the tide, the Rip Curl Rifles has the graphical wave display which I find much easier to read.
The Rifles features 500 beaches as compared to the other brands – check out the beach listings on page 6 of the manual here.
No bells and whistles, just easy setup and use. That’s great in my book!
More Surf Watches To Consider
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don't – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- We love the reef - to help protect delicate coral reefs, BLUE LIZARD Sensitive sunscreen contains no oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- Mineral sunscreen, no chemical active ingredients - protects your skin by acting like thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect UV rays away before they enter your body
- Spf 50+ broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection- mineral active ingredients zinc oxide and titanium Dioxide provide broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays
- Measuring range: 0 to 60 inches and 0 to 150 centimeters. There is a centimeter scale on the back, which is accurately printed in inches and centimeters. Both sides can be measured according to your requirements. You can put one in your pocket or backpack without taking up too much space
- Great Material: Tailor Vinyl tape measure won't stretch or deform, provides superior measurement consistence; Soft tape measure, a flexible and portable tape measure, made from soft plastic material, white color
- Operate and Read: Black markings on bright white tape is big enough for you to read, the tape has metal tabs on each end of the cloth tape measure to butt-up against the item your measuring; The metal ends also can prevent fraying
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- Over 20 million kids (and their parents) have enjoyed Amazon Kids+ service. Amazon Kids parental controls allow you to set educational goals, create time limits, and filter content.
- The included 1 year of Amazon Kids+ gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, audiobooks, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- 7" IPS display; 16 or 32 GB of internal storage (add up to 512 GB with microSD)
- Faster 1.3 GHz quad-core processor
- Up to 7 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching video, and listening to music
- Fossil has always been inspired by American creativity and ingenuity. Since 1984, we’ve strived to bring new life into the industry by making quality, fashionable watches and accessories that were both fun and accessible
- For a bold, oversized look that's certain to be noticed, choose Nate! Its clean, military-inspired design with oversized lugs and bold details offers a laid-back yet rugged feel that is perfect for any adventure, day or night
- Case size: 50mm; Band size: 24mm; quartz movement with chronograph analog display and date window; hardened mineral crystal lens resists scratches; imported
- Keeps track of your energy levels, Pulse Ox (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition), respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart, hydration and more
- Easily download songs to your watch, including playlists from Spotify, Amazon music or Deezer (may require a premium subscription with a third party music provider), and connect with headphones (sold separately) for phone free listening
- Record all the ways to move with more than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- 【TOUGHNESS FROM THE INSIDE OUT】The Amazfit T-Rex Pro comes with a 1.3" HD AMOLED always-on color screen; The outer bezel undergoes a metal-spraying process, which enhances the rich textures of the light 60g watch body. Having passed 15 military-grade tests1, this smart watch can battle with you through hot deserts, humid rainforest and polar glaciers. Witness endurance that braves the elements with ease.
- 【YOUR PARTNER IN EXPLORATION】The Amazfit T-Rex Pro smartwatch is high-level exploration partner, supporting four global navigation satellite systems, a blood-oxygen saturation measurement system, a heart rate monitor, a sleep monitor, a weather tracker, a sunrise and sunset monitor, a current moon phase display, a compass and barometric altimeter.
- 【Ultra-long 18 Day Battery Life】When fully-charged, you can relax and enjoy up to 18 days of activity and progress with typical usage, or up to 9 days with heavy usage, or up to 40 hours with GPS continuous working mode. Go nonstop with T-Rex Pro watch！
- 200 M Water Resistance
- G-Shock Watch featuring Shock resistance - Tough Solar Power with battery indicator, and power-saving function. Approximate battery life: 10 months on full charge (without further exposure to light).
- Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping-Automatically Receives time calibration radio signals from all 6 Atomic clocks around the world which keep the displayed time accurate
- Suunto Core: This classic outdoor sports watch is packed with intelligent features like a Storm Alarm, Altimeter, Barometer and compass to keep you informed of conditions while you hike, bike, or camp
- Essential for Adventure: This watch has dual times, a date display, and alarm, plus predicted times for sunrise and sunset to help maximize your daylight hours and a depth meter accurate up to 30 feet
- Suunto Sports Watches: Versatile and durable, Suunto sports watches are great for running, swimming, cycling, gym workouts, hiking, and other outdoor sports; Whatever your needs, Suunto has a watch for you