Surfboard Traction Pads / Deck Grips / Tailpads
Surfboard traction pads, deck grips, tailpads. There are several names for this piece of grippy foam that most shortboards and a few longboards have on the end of the deck.
Put simply, traction pads give your rear foot a bit more grip on the board, allowing you to pull harder maneuvers without having to worry about whether or not your wax is sticky or bumpy enough. Some surfboard traction pads have ridges at the back that allow your foot even more control over the board for harder snaps and aerial maneuvers.
There are several brands of surfboard traction pads on the market, and it’s tough to go wrong since traction pads are a relatively simple piece of equipment.
I personally recommend DaKine tail pads, however Gorilla Grip and OAM produce good tail pads as well.
Color: This is up to you. One word of advice, however, don’t get a white traction pad. The guy at the shop said it wouldn’t get dirty, but it did. He was probably trying to get rid of it! Now it looks a little trashed, but it still works fine.
HOW TO APPLY A SURFBOARD TRACTION PAD
Applying a tail pad to your pristine surfboard can be a little nerve-wracking, but there is a very simple way to do it.
FIRST: Make sure there is NO wax on your board. If it’s brand new, take a cloth and wipe away any fiberglass dust that might be on the board from production. If you’ve had wax on it, leave it in the sun for a few minutes to soften the wax, or pour hot water on it. Then scrape away the wax from the area with a wax comb or other soft plastic edge (your old credit cards work well) and finish with a wax remover. If it’s winter, you can take a hairblower on a LOW setting and blow the wax until it is soft enough to remove. Make sure that you wipe away all the wax remover and bits of wax.
- Cut the plastic around the edge of the tailpad and remove the cardboard backing—but leave the pad itself in the plastic so it stays together.
- Put the tail pad on the board (still in the plastic) and figure out where you want it to go. Some surfers like to have the rear kick-up ridge positioned either directly over the front of the centermost fin, others like to have it right in front of the leash plug. If this is your first traction pad, a safe bet is to put the rear ridge over the center of the middle rear fin.
- Mark off the position of the pad with a pencil. Use the stringer to make sure you’ve got your pad centered.
- Peel off the adhesive paper on the pad, being careful not to let the glue stick to anything.
- Take the entire pad and carefully place it onto the area marked with your pencil.
- Press down firmly for about 20-30 seconds to bond the adhesive.
- Carefully peel away the plastic packaging.
- It’s advised to wait a day to use the board, but I’ve heard of people going in the water right away. It’s up to you, but I’d recommend waiting at least 12 hours.
That wasn’t so hard now, was it? Some people like to spread the pieces of their traction pad around wider or tighter than the factory “preset.” If you want to do this, just take a pencil and trace the different pieces individually. You can use a little piece of double stick tape so they don’t move around as you arrange them.
REMOVING A SURFBOARD TRACTION PAD
This is difficult, and is easier on epoxy boards than fiberglass boards. If you want to remove a tail pad from a fiberglass board you run the risk of delaminating the board, pulling the fiberglass away from the foam. This could ruin your board, so it’s not recommended.
If you MUST remove the pad, do it very, very slowly and carefully, a little at a time. If you’re going to put a new pad on, don’t worry about a little sticky adhesive left over. If you just want to get rid of the thing completely, a small amount of paint thinner on a rag or paper towel should take care of the adhesive.
Bestsellers According To Amazon
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
- Dakine Friendly Foam biodegradable EVA foam
- Positraction grid pattern
- Three piece pad
- 7mm center arch
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Surf harder, faster & stronger knowing your back foot won't slip off your board with a Sympl grip pad.
- FITS ALL BOARDS: 3 Piece Surf Traction Pad for all surfboards, skimboards, fishes & longboards.
- ULTIMATE GRIP: Our custom made grooves and ultra-light EVA foam is specially designed to work great in cold and warm water. It’s soft so it won’t tear up your knees when surfing in boardies, but will stay grippy through cold water winters when your back in your full suit. Sympl Surf Traction Pads all have premium 3M adhesive to ensure it doesn’t peel off your board - let us help you start surfing or skimming your best by adding some grip to your board.
- STYLES & COLORS: We have multiple styles and color options for everyone - We make front traction and flat traction pads with no arch. And our front foot traction works great on fishes, longboards and skimboards as well since it has no kick - it is very versatile! ‣‣‣ Cover the tail of virtually any board with our 3-piece traction pad. Spread the pieces apart to fit your shortboard, fish, funboard, longboard, skimboard, and wakesurf board.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEED: Our ultralight EVA foam surf traction pads will stick forever on your board or your money back - simply return it within 30 days for a full refund - No questions asked!
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Surf harder, faster & stronger when your back foot doesn't slip off your board . Sympl back traction kick pads will help your surfing by keeping you stuck to your board.
- FITS ALL BOARDS: 3 Piece Surf Traction Pad for all surf boards, skim boards, fish surfboard & long boards. Sympl Grip is better then surf wax and doesn't make a mess like surfboard wax does.
- ULTIMATE DECK GRIP: Our custom made diamond grooves and corduroy grooves come on ultra-light EVA foam with 3m Adhesive. We provide Premium surfing accessories for surfers and all board riders.
- STYLE: Color options for everyone. We make front traction pad surf grip and 2pc. fish grips. Great for long boards, wakesurf board and skim board traction. Sympl traction is for all boards.
- STYLE: Color options for everyone. We make front traction pad surf grip and 2pc. fish grips. Great for long boards, wakesurf board and skim board traction. Sympl traction is for all boards. STYLE: We make front traction pad surf grip and 3pc. fish grips. Great for long boards, wakesurf board and skim board traction. Slash traction pads work great on all boards. STYLE: We make front traction pad surf grip and 3pc. fish grips. Great for long boards, wakesurf board and skim board tract
- Premium Materials for High Performance: A-grade lightweight EVA with authentic green label 3M adhesive, this surfboard traction pad is designed for turns and cutbacks.
- Fits All: the 3 piece surf traction ARCH pad design could fit for all surfboards, fishboards, skimboards, funboards and longboards.
- Ultra Light: A-grade high density EVA foam, weighs just 3 oz, minimum added weight to the board for PRO performance
- Beveled Tail Kick: 25mm thick steep tail kicker provides enhanced drive in surfing, specially designed for leashes to move smoothly without affecting performance
- Superb Grip: the ultralight diamond grooved EVA foam is comfortable to stand on while strong enough to provide the support needed for all the movements in surfing.
- DITCH WAX: Once you use the SBS front traction pad, you will never again want to mess with wax.
- STICKY 3M ADHESIVE: Applied correctly our traction pad will stay on your board worry free.
- DIMENSIONS: 15" x 15" - Four (4) 3.5" wide x 15" sections, which when spaced about 1/4" apart = 15x15.
- LIGHT AND THIN: With a thickness of 2.5mm (1/10th of an inch) and vertical corduroy grooves, this pad is ideal for front traction.
- ONE YEAR GUARANTEE: Should our traction pad let you down, we will replace or refund you. Just let us know and we will take care of it.
- SUPERIOR ANTI-SLIP TRACTION: In 3mm depth diamond grooves, this trimmable EVA pad provides a nice textured surface with excellent grip.
- CUSTOMIZE TO FIT: It has 9 pieces and separates into upper section and tail section (comes with arch and kicker). It’s suitable for both SUP boards and surfboards, by adjusting the space of the pieces. Taking out the 2 middle pieces of the upper section, it’s perfect for narrower surfboards.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Along with the brand new A-grade EVA material, all Abahub traction pads utilize certificated resin and original marine grade 3M self adhesive backing. Our processing experience also guarantees the superb stickiness won’t be compromised by EVA dust generated during production.
- SOFT AND COMFORTABLE: Made of elastic A-grade closed cell EVA foam, it’s also an absorber of weight and shock. It helps reduce your foot fatigue with a perfect balance of traction and comfort.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We've been manufacturing traction pads for over 10 years. We know what we're doing and we stand by our products. If you're not happy with our products, we'll offer you replacement or full refund with "No Question Asked" guarantee.
- SUPER GRIP with COMFORT: A-grade EVA traction deck pad cut with small diamond grooves; hard brushed all over the surface provides ultimate grip and soft comfort to the feet.
- MARINE GRADE 3M ADHESIVE + DUST FREE TREATMENT: This surfboard traction pad is special treated to minimize dust on them before putting up the 3M adhesive, so the super bonding ability won’t be compromised.
- PERFORMANCE DESIGN: The surf tail pad is with 25mm beveled tail kicker, and fading center arch (max. height at 10mm) with holes.
- FIT ALL BOARDS: 3-piece template with general size of 11.75’’x11.75’’ (30cm x 30cm), it's a traction grip pad fits almost all kinds of surfboards.
- WORRY FREE PURCHASE: OCEANBROAD offers complete customer satisfaction of replacement or refund for any quality issues.
- Improve your form and stay solid on the board with the Dakine John John Florence Pro Traction. Designed and developed with JJF's direct input, this exclusive pad features drilled holes to reduce drag and enhance water flow.
- The super tough adhesive holds the pad in place for more secure turns and massive pops.
- This exclusive tail pad has been designed, researched and developed with the Hawaiian mega star who is probably the best pound for pound surfer on the planet right now.
- From hyper grippy traction and an ultra protective board bag to green friendly plastic less packaging built from recycled paper, this collection is all about pushing the limits of surf accessories so one of the world’s most progressive riders can continue to change the game.
- 13" x 12.5" (33 x 31.75 cm)
3-PIECE TRACTION PAD Tech surf kick maximizes speed and performance for better surfing
ULTRALIGHT SURFBOARD GRIP This surfboard pad keeps you glued to your board better than surf wax
FITS ALL BOARDS - 11.75” wide by 11.75” tall. They work great as surfboard traction pads, skimboard traction pads, or as a wake surfboards pad
3M GREEN ADHESIVE Creates a powerful, permanent bond between the surfing traction pad and your board
QUALITY GUARANTEED This Surf Squared surf pad was designed by 2 dedicated surfers. If you encounter any issues, we will make it right or refund your order