Surfboard Traction Pads / Deck Grips / Tailpads
Surfboard traction pads, deck grips, tailpads. There are several names for this piece of grippy foam that most shortboards and a few longboards have on the end of the deck.
Put simply, traction pads give your rear foot a bit more grip on the board, allowing you to pull harder maneuvers without having to worry about whether or not your wax is sticky or bumpy enough. Some surfboard traction pads have ridges at the back that allow your foot even more control over the board for harder snaps and aerial maneuvers.
There are several brands of surfboard traction pads on the market, and it’s tough to go wrong since traction pads are a relatively simple piece of equipment.
I personally recommend DaKine tail pads, however Gorilla Grip and OAM produce good tail pads as well.
Color: This is up to you. One word of advice, however, don’t get a white traction pad. The guy at the shop said it wouldn’t get dirty, but it did. He was probably trying to get rid of it! Now it looks a little trashed, but it still works fine.
HOW TO APPLY A SURFBOARD TRACTION PAD
Applying a tail pad to your pristine surfboard can be a little nerve-wracking, but there is a very simple way to do it.
FIRST: Make sure there is NO wax on your board. If it’s brand new, take a cloth and wipe away any fiberglass dust that might be on the board from production. If you’ve had wax on it, leave it in the sun for a few minutes to soften the wax, or pour hot water on it. Then scrape away the wax from the area with a wax comb or other soft plastic edge (your old credit cards work well) and finish with a wax remover. If it’s winter, you can take a hairblower on a LOW setting and blow the wax until it is soft enough to remove. Make sure that you wipe away all the wax remover and bits of wax.
- Cut the plastic around the edge of the tailpad and remove the cardboard backing—but leave the pad itself in the plastic so it stays together.
- Put the tail pad on the board (still in the plastic) and figure out where you want it to go. Some surfers like to have the rear kick-up ridge positioned either directly over the front of the centermost fin, others like to have it right in front of the leash plug. If this is your first traction pad, a safe bet is to put the rear ridge over the center of the middle rear fin.
- Mark off the position of the pad with a pencil. Use the stringer to make sure you’ve got your pad centered.
- Peel off the adhesive paper on the pad, being careful not to let the glue stick to anything.
- Take the entire pad and carefully place it onto the area marked with your pencil.
- Press down firmly for about 20-30 seconds to bond the adhesive.
- Carefully peel away the plastic packaging.
- It’s advised to wait a day to use the board, but I’ve heard of people going in the water right away. It’s up to you, but I’d recommend waiting at least 12 hours.
That wasn’t so hard now, was it? Some people like to spread the pieces of their traction pad around wider or tighter than the factory “preset.” If you want to do this, just take a pencil and trace the different pieces individually. You can use a little piece of double stick tape so they don’t move around as you arrange them.
REMOVING A SURFBOARD TRACTION PAD
This is difficult, and is easier on epoxy boards than fiberglass boards. If you want to remove a tail pad from a fiberglass board you run the risk of delaminating the board, pulling the fiberglass away from the foam. This could ruin your board, so it’s not recommended.
If you MUST remove the pad, do it very, very slowly and carefully, a little at a time. If you’re going to put a new pad on, don’t worry about a little sticky adhesive left over. If you just want to get rid of the thing completely, a small amount of paint thinner on a rag or paper towel should take care of the adhesive.
Bestsellers According To Amazon
- CONTAINS: One (1) 1.75-oz. stick of Gold Bond Friction Defense
- FRICTION DEFENSE: This stick reduces friction and comforts skin
- SOOTHES & COMFORTS: Gold Bond Friction Defense moisturizes and soothes skin
- GENTLE ON SENSITIVE SKIN: Gold Bond Friction Defense is non-greasy, unscented and gentle on skin
- EASY TO USE: Apply the formula liberally to the affected area as often as needed
- Fantastic arch support: Mens flip flops with thick cushioned sole and rugged foot bed have supplies great traction for handle long walks.
- Non-slip sole: Synthetic rubber out sole provides a good skid and wear resistance in thong sandals.
- Fashion and fit upper:Fashion outdoor sport sandals are versatile on summer.
- Comfortable and Soft: The mid sole is made of TPR material which make sure your toe and feet feel comfortable.
- Various occasions:Perfect to take them on hiking, on boating trips and even for walking on beaches.
- Leather boat shoe featuring moccasin-stitched toe, rust-resistant eyelets, and slotted collar
- Genuine hand-sewn Tru-Moc construction for durable comfort
- Non-marking outsole with wet/dry traction
- 360 degree lacing system
- Features shock absorbing eva heel cup for added comfort
- STRETCHY MATERIALS:The smooth fabrics with fine stretch on uppers are easy to get on and off.It is light and feels like you just have socks on,but thick enough to protect your feet.
- DURABLE SOLE:The new updated sole features great wearing resistance and duration.The convex dots on sole enhances ability of anti-skid, giving strong friction when walking.
- FLEXIBLE TWIST AND LOOP:Our swim shoes are easily carry, no matter you go to river, sea, lake and ocean to play, you can take our swimming shoes with you.
- SPECIAL FEATURES:These fishing shoes walk like normal shoes with several holes on each bottom to ensure proper water flow out of them. The holes would not be big enough to allow sands or rocks inside.
- OCCASION:The water shoes are perfect for beach, diving, hiking, snorkeling, swimming, pool, running, shower, weight training, boating& sailing, parasailing, kayaking, yoga, dancing, windsurfing, cycling, bathroom, jogging, fishing, beach volleyball, garden, water aerobics, exercises.
- Nylon shank stabilizes and supports your foot on uneven terrain
- Rugged Durabrasion Rubber outsole is extremely durable and supplies great traction
- Lined with lightweight, breathable mesh that keeps your feet cool and comfortable
- Molded EVA midsole, Nylon shank stabilizes and supports your foot on uneven terrain
- Rubber outsole for durability and traction
- A premium upper of rich, supple leather for a luxe look and feel
- Best for: getting around town, relaxing at the campground
- Recommended 1: CONVENIENCE - Smooth neck design prevents chafing when wearing our water shoes. It is convenient to wear and take off.
- Recommended 2: COMFORTABLE FIT -- Breathable and smooth fabrics with fine stretch on uppers. Like socks, flexible and comfortable.
- Recommended 3: RUBBER OUTSOLE & FOOT SAFETY -- Wearable and top-quality rubber sole, which protects your feet from being hurt by sharp objects.
- Recommended 4: OCCASION - Yoga Training, beach, swimming, pool, weight training, wake-boarding, sailing, boating, kayaking, windsurfing, cycling, jogging, walking, fishing, beach volleyball, gardening, lawn, car-washing and driving. Family outings!
- Tips：VARIOUS SIZE AVAILABLE -- fit different feet,little kids, big kids,men,women are available.
- 100% Genuine Suede insoles – forms a perfect contour of the foot after being worn in.
- Premium Vegan upper – With soft lining and adjustable straps
- Premium traction design EVA outsole – Long lasting
- Cork footbed - very flexible
- Platform measures approximately 1.25 inches
- THE ONLY SANDAL YOU NEED: When beach sandals and ultimate comfort come together, you get the Phantom! These flip flops have become a staple for not just summer, but beach life in general with built in comfort and athleticism to withstand any adventure.
- WATER-FRIENDLY + DURABLE: Phantom flip flops are water friendly with a synthetic nubuck upper, so you can go from deck chairs to waves seamlessly. Go ahead, surf check, dip your toes in the lake or survive an intense splash fight without worry.
- NO BREAK-IN PERIOD: Packed with the comfort and support of Reef’s anatomical arch support, the Phantom sandal will keep your feet comfortable no matter where they take you.
- AMAZING TRACTION: Built around three layers of innovative material: a super-soft, contoured foam deck for instant comfort, a medium-density midsole for long-lasting support, and a high-density rubber outsole for traction.
- BEACH FREELY: REEF encourages people around the world to embrace the spirit of the beach while living by one simple rule: Beach Freely. Our products are designed to make you feel comfortable in any environment, whether you're at the beach or not.
- BREATHABLE ULTRA LIGHT:Our Kids water shoes its upper with stretch breathable ultra light weight fabric for creates a cooler and healthier.
- CUSHION INSOLES: Breathable insoles with holes also made of soft EVA materials, they can absorb shock and reduce muscle fatigue in feet and legs.
- FOOT SAFETY:Durable EVA material sole with rubber pods, add more secure traction and prevent slips and falls,and protect kids feet from sharp rocks and stones.
- COMFORTABLE FEELING:EVA material sole with rubber pods provides an exceptionally lightweight midsole with excellent bounce-back and durability,reduce chafing when kids wearing our water shoes.
- OCCASIONS: Beach, pool, wake-boarding,swimming,sailing, boating, windsurfing, cycling, jogging, walking, fishing, beach volleyball, gardening, lawn, car-washing and driving. Family outings!