Surf leashes are a ubiquitous part of surfing. I occasionally surf without a leash if I’m longboarding, but when I’m on a shortboard I always have one on. Let’s face it: leashes make surfing a lot easier, especially if you’re shortboarding and trying to improve your turns and maneuvers you’re going to fall a lot – everyone does.
Most surfboard leashes are basically the same, but the best ones are made with quality materials. However, I have to say that there are NO guarantees about surf leashes: they can and do break. So don’t go betting your life on one!
Choosing a leash is a bit based on what’s available and what the prices are, as well as aesthetics like color and brand. There are a few leashes that try to stand out from the crowd such as Creatures Of Leisure with their DNA Flex Mold shock absorbing connector, as well as XM’s tangle free leash and Modom’s shark repellent leashes.
Personally I’m a fan of Dakine, Modom, and Creatures Of Leisure, but as long as you’re getting a leash from a reputable brand that uses quality materials you’ll be ok with whichever brand you are keen on.
A Simple Dakine leash has always been a staple for me ever since I started surfing:
- ADVANCED TRACTION: Designed to give frog-like traction on surfboards, skimboards, boats, kayaks and watercraft. The Diamond II pattern provides great lateral and medial grip. The 34 x 9-inch deck grip sheet can be cut to any shape, making it perfect for use as a foam boat pad, marine deck grip or to add grip on kayaks.
- BUILT TO LAST: No all deck grips stand up to the wear and tear of the sea, sun and sand. Punt deck grips are built to last. We use industry leading 3M peel back adhesive for a stick that lasts and our advanced EVA foam is durable and will provide grip that lasts season after season.
- LIGHTWEIGHT PERFORMANCE: The deck grip combines durability with lightweight performance. The thin profile means the traction pads provide support and retain feel when surfing or skimboarding. The lightweight foam means you won’t be sacrificing performance and speed for grip.
- EASY TO CUT AND CREATE CUSTOM SHAPES: The EVA foam can easily be cut to any straight or curved shapes. With a generous size you’ll have enough deck grip for use for boat flooring decking or as adhesive foam padding for kayaks, jet skis or paddleboards.
- GREAT FOR DOGS: Take your hound on your next adventure…and take them in comfort and style! The deck grip is perfect for giving your furry friend some comfort and confidence when on your next watery adventure. Perfect as a dog kayak accessories deck grip or as a dog boat accessories - your hound will love it!