UPDATE: This hitch safe review was originally written 9 years ago! And since then I did have to replace the drawer as the dials eventually got corroded by all the salt over the years. But a replacement drawer is only $20, a pittance over a decade of use. If I had known about graphite at the time I probably could have just sprayed some lock graphite in there. Anyway, we HIGHLY recommend this product. What are you waiting for??
I bought a new car recently, and when they handed me the keys my first thought was, “How am I going to fit this in my wetsuit?” It’s one of those electronic keys with about 12 buttons. You don’t want to get those wet. So, I decided to splurge a bit and bought myself the Hitch Safe to make my life slightly easier. (There is a removable metal key that comes out of the electronic part, which you could probably make a copy of to stash in your car or take with you, but I had a few other reasons to get one of these hitch safe gadgets.)
The Hitch Safe turns your car’s hitch into a small safe where you can place keys, money, and other valuables. It’s a great place to stash an extra key, and an even greater place to put your keys when you’re surfing. I used to put my old metal key in my wetsuit key pocket, and that worked fine. But there were a few close calls where it was dangling around when I took my wetsuit off, and I always wondered when the other shoe would drop and I’d lose it completely. I hate putting my key in the leash cuff, so this was my only option. Forget hiding the key near the car… I can do that back home on the East Coast but not here in Encinitas.
Even if you’re not a surfer, the Hitch Safe is a great way to stash stuff when you’re going out for any sort of activity, whether it’s snowboarding (I hated carrying my keys around snowboarding), hunting, diving, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Anything you’re doing where there’s a chance that either a.) the keys will fall out of your pocket, or b.) you’ll fall on the keys and they’ll stab you in the leg.
I also think one of the best things about the Hitch Safe is that if you’re surfing with your buddy and he gets cold, you don’t have to follow him in or toss him the key while in the water. As long as he knows the combo he can get dry and warm while you enjoy a few more waves.
The Hitch Safe was easy to install. Actually, the hardest thing about setting it up was getting it out of that horrid molded plastic packaging (note to manufacturers: please don’t do this). Make sure you have a sharp powerful scissors on hand, or perhaps an angry pet gorilla.
The lock mechanism allows you to set your own four number combination. It’s really quite easy. The only downside is that obviously you can’t use your hitch for towing if you’ve got it installed. The safe comes with a removable dust cover so that the lock mechanisms stay protected.
So far I have been loving this product. I don’t have to worry about my keys while out surfing, knowing they are safe and dry right at my car. The only thing I haven’t been able to test out is it’s durability as far as the lock mechanism and normal wear and tear / weather. Obviously salt water and normal rain water would be of some concern, so I definitely suggest keeping that dust cover over the face at all times.
Overall this is a great Christmas gift for a surfer in your life. Just make sure they have a hitch on their car that’s available and not being used.
You can buy the Hitch Safe key vault at your local surf shop (I got mine at Encinitas Surfboards), or online at Amazon.com
- SECURE YOUR VALUABLES - Enjoy outdoor activities without thinking of losing your keys, cards or valuables. This secure key vault inconspicuously allows you to keep your valuables secure at all times during outdoor activities where that might usually be a hassle.
- HIGH IMPACT ALUMINUM - The Hitch receiver is constructed from high impact aluminum and is a vault that combined with the HitchSafe provides the most secure location on your vehicle to store spare keys and other personal items.
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED - The HitchSafe easily installs and uninstalls in seconds with no tools required. To access your valuables you simply release the rubber dust cover that looks like any normal hitch cover, enter in your personal 4 number dial combination, which releases the drawer and allows you access to your valuables.
- SAFE AND SOUND - The HitchSafe is far superior to the magnetic key holders that fall off at the first bump. The HitchSafe is contained within the solid steel structure of the Hitch Receiver with a combination that only you know.
- NOTE - The 2005 Toyota Tacoma’s and the 2007 Toyota Tundra’s OEM Hitch Receivers require optional longer pins. The HitchSafe fits all other makes and models to include RV’s, all OEM and all aftermarket hitch receivers.
half a year later 9 years later(!!!) since I wrote this review (time flies when you’re having fun!) and I continue to tell my friends that the Hitch Safe is the best thing I’ve ever bought in terms of surfy / car related gadgets. It’s incredibly helpful. Not only for surfing – if I go out to a club, or leave my car overnight somewhere when I go on a trip, I can leave my keys stashed in here and don’t have to worry about losing them somewhere. I’ve used it for snowboarding (who wants keys in their snowboard pockets?) and hiking. I definitely suggest that if you have a hitch, you get one of these bad boys.